Saturday, December 3, 2011

Turkey & Chick-Pea Chili


When it starts getting cold outside, I start going crazy over soups. I especially adore homemade soups. I really enjoy being able to make them in my crockpot.

I don't know if chili is considered a soup, but to me, they're pretty similar.

Today, I decided to make chili. Jake will be delighted when he comes home from work tonight and has a nice hot bowl of chili waiting for him. (Well, the chili will be hot, but he'll have to dish it himself, most likely.)

Here's how I make my chili...

Turkey and Chick-Pea Chili:

1 pound ground turkey, seasoned with garlic and pepper, cooked and drained
1 large can tomato soup + 3/4 can water
1 (or 2) can(s) Garbanzo beans, drained (chick-peas)
2 cans chili beans in sauce (or two cans beans of your choice, drained)
1 small can mushrooms, drained, or 1/4 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced or chopped
1 can diced tomatoes (I used tomatoes with peppers)
Chili powder (or seasoning), to taste (I use enough to make it "almost very spicy" so my husband will still eat it)
Cayenne pepper, to taste
1 tsp. (or so) minced garlic

  • I brown my turkey, adding garlic and pepper, and drain it (if necessary).
  • Then I dump it in the crock pot.
  • I add the soup and the almost full can of water and mix it.
  • I add my chili powder, pepper, and garlic now, stir it, and taste it. If I don't think it's spicy enough, I add more. I suggest using small amounts if you don't know how to guesstimate to your liking.
  • Then, I drain the beans and the mushrooms and add those.
  • I dump the tomatoes in, but I don't drain them, usually.
  • I put the lid on the crock pot, and turn it on low.

When it's hot, dish it up and enjoy! It's also good with a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheese. Or crackers, but we don't generally have crackers on hand.

I love having garbanzo beans in my chili. They add a fun texture (as in, I'm super odd and I like to eat them individually and bite them in half before actually chewing them... and I have no idea why).

This chili freezes pretty nicely. I think I made it five times last winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment