Saturday, December 3, 2011

"Experimental Soup" (My husband says it's like Borscht...)


This recipe is all Nik. Yup, it's mine. (And that photo is the leftovers after being in the fridge. It tastes much better than the photo would lead you to believe...)



On Facebook, I made a quip about my husband being so awesome that he was about to get lucky with supper, as I was making him some "experimental soup."

What does that mean, exactly? It means I had no set plan and I was just going to experiment with what I had in the kitchen and hope for the best (which, when it comes to making soup, I must say, usually ends pretty well).

Much to my delight (and possibly Jake's relief), it was fantastic soup! In fact, when I had told my cousin about it via text message, she thought it sounded superb (I could have done a pun there, or a play on words, or whatever... you know.. "souperb" or "souper" (and I did it anyway...)) and she wanted to have some the next day for lunch.

Well, she loved it. And took extras for later.

I had some more last night, because it was stored perfectly well and was STILL tasty. Yum!

I decided I would share my "experimental soup" recipe (if it can be called that(I thought about calling it something else, like Nik's Borscht, but I think that the title I gave it originally is funny, as questionable as it may sound)). It's not exact measurements, so I hope you're not a person who hates that sort of cooking.

Here goes...

Experimental Soup:

1 can condensed tomato soup
6 c. chicken broth (I made mine from bouillon cubes)
1-2 large chicken breasts, diced and cooked (and seasoned with pepper and garlic and Mrs. Dash if you're me)
1 large zucchini, peeled (if you wish), sliced, and steamed
1 can whole potatoes (or five small ones), cut into cubes
1 can/cup cooked asparagus
1 cup cubed, cooked sweet potatoes
1 can whole kernel corn
2-4 cups cooked pasta of your choice (I used a random bag of multi-colored and multi-shaped stuff I found in the cupboard and just dumped some in a pan and cooked it)
1 can diced tomatoes (or a few tomatoes you diced on your own)
minced garlic to taste (I added a lot)
cayenne pepper to taste (I added a fair amount)
Italian seasoning to taste (I added a little)

  • Dice and cook the chicken.
  • Throw it (nicely) in the crock pot.
  • Add the tomato soup and chicken broth.
  • Prepare noodles (cook to your desire, mine were a bit over-done but it didn't much matter) and pour gently into the crock pot.
  • Prepare vegetables (whether fresh or in the can (as in drain)) and dump (slowly, so as to not splash) in the crock pot.
  • Stir.
  • Add seasonings of your choice, or of my suggestion.
  • Stir again. Taste.
  • Cook until it's hot and serve.

If I had them on hand, I probably would have added carrots and celery too. But, I didn't. Like I said, this was a smorgasbord soup of random kitchen ingredients.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment