Saturday, December 3, 2011

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Buttercream

Greetings!

I know, I know, yet another recipe and cooking blog. It's true, there's a bajillion out there.

I can't claim to be a culinary master. Sometimes, I screw up recipes. Not often, but it's been done. (Ask my best friend, Michelle, about our high school cooking days. We once made "butter soup" instead of eclairs, and a giant, watery, sugar cookie, for example.) I don't create a lot of my own recipes. I often don't measure spices, flavorings, or add-ins and just dump until I think it looks or tastes good. But, I do occasionally find myself wanting to cook or bake. I often tell the world about about on Facebook, and people sometimes ask me for recipes. So... here they will be. Recipes others have created and a few "recipes" that I create myself.

I will give credit when credit is due, to the best of my capabilities.

If photos happen to be included, they'll be my own. Please don't take them.

Enjoy!
-Nik

Credit goes to How Sweet it Is.

I found this recipe on pinterest. I will admit, I am addicted to pinterest, especially because it works SO well to organize recipes (I am a visual person, so I love being able to see a picture of the food and my comment under it).

I jumped at the chance to create them. In fact, I text my husband who was out and about in town and asked him to purchase what supplies I didn't already have. He's a dear and obliged me.


Red Velvet Brownies:


1/2 c. butter (room temperature)
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3 T. cocoa powder
2 T. red food coloring (if you want them red, otherwise, it's unnecessary (*and I didn't use the full amount when I did it)

  • Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (Fahrenheit, because I'm in the USA and have no idea what that would be in Celsius).
  • Butter and flour an 8x8 inch pan. I didn't have a baking pan, so I used a glass casserole dish, and it worked out just fine.
  • In a medium-ish sized bowl, combine the cocoa powder, food coloring, and vanilla to make a paste. (Mine was more... chunky and not all wet than a paste, and I am not certain that you need to do this at all, actually... so if you don't, just add them all separately at the end.)
  • In a mixer (or another bowl with a hand mixer, that's what I did) cream the butter with the sugar until fluffy (that's such a funny visual, I imagine it to be fuzzy and standing straight up, but you know what it means, I think). Add eggs and the remaining vanilla.
  • On medium speed, add the colored paste.
  • Beat until completely red (or just mixed, if you aren't using the food coloring).
  • Add the flour and salt.
  • Bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool. You'll burn your mouth otherwise, and not be able to fully enjoy their deliciousness later.



White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:


1 stick butter (room temperature)
2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1-2 T. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
4 oz. whilte chocolate (melted, I used... Godiva, or Lindt, I forget, in bar form)

  • Cream butter until fluffy. Add vanilla.
  • Slowly add 1/2 c. powdered sugar, on low speed.
  • Add melted chocolate and beat until completely mixed.
  • Add 1 tsp. milk at a time, and mix until desired consistency.

Unless you want an extremely generous amount of frosting on your cooled brownies, you'll have extra. Store it in the fridge for later!

I ended up making the brownies twice, because they were so tasty. I was out of red coloring the second time, so I used blue. They looked green. They were tasty, still, but... funky looking.


No comments:

Post a Comment