Thursday, January 31, 2013

Best.Soup.Ever. (Nik's Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup)

Soup. Again.

This soup is one I came up with a few weeks ago. It was after two other attempts at a creamy chicken (or turkey) and wild rice soup. They were pretty good, with some room for improvement.

Third time's a charm, right?

The name " Best Soup Ever" is mostly a joke, but a BFF of mine told me that on Facebook, so I thought it a fun title.

Again, when I make soup, I don't use exact measurements, but so I tried really hard to take note of my exact "recipe" in the event that anyone wants to recreate.

Best Soup Ever ( Nik's Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup)

- 2ish pounds shredded chicken
- 6 servings chicken bouillon broth (or so)
- 2 servings beef bouillon broth
- 1.5 cups wild rice blend (cooked to package directions)
- 1 can French cut green beans
- 1 cup or so chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1 quart (or pint) half and half
- 1 1/2 cup (or more) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- cayenne pepper
- poultry seasoning
- black pepper
- Mrs. Dash
- Old Bay
- minced onion
- minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour

I boil and shred two pounds of chicken.

I cook rice according to package (I took a photo of the rice blend I use) except I add a cube of bouillon instead of salt.

In a Dutch oven, I melt the butter and sauté vegetables and almonds for five minutes or so, to get them softened. Then, I add water and bouillon cubes (more or less to taste and for a bit if saltiness) and cooked rice. I cover and simmer while I shred the chicken and add it. Cubed chicken would work too, but I feel liked shredded chicken is more tender.

In a saucepan, I combine half and half (I used a pint once and a quart this time because they were out of pints at the store) and flour and whisk until smooth. I heat it over medium and add cheeses. I like to add as much Parmesan as possible, usually around 2 cups. I add less mozzarella than Parmesan.

When the cheese is melted and its become a thick sauce, I slowly add to the Dutch oven. Stir until combined and then simmer over low a while so the flavors can blend and it can thicken up a bit.

Notes: I boil the chicken in water seasoned wit poultry seasoning and a bit of cayenne pepper. I add a variety of seasonings to the broth before adding cheese sauce, and then taste test once it's incorporated. I add more seasonings and/or bouillon to taste.





No comments:

Post a Comment